Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Battle Of Growing Older

So, I'm about to turn 35 in a couple of days. Now, this may not seem like a big deal to many, especially many fellow collectors who have a few more miles on their meter, but it somehow feels like it to me. 40 is not that far away once you turn 35. Yeah, age is just a number and you're only as old as you feel, yadda yadda. But deep down, we all know these are just hollow phrases. Subconsciously (or not) I've been listening to a lot of music I was listening to when I first got into hardcore and punk. Yesterday I wrote that the Beastie Boys were a gateway band for me, well the same is true for Rage Against The Machine. They were touring on this LP when I caught them live at a big festival and that turned everything around for me. It also helped they had Guerilla Radio on the soundtrack of THPS2, which was basically all I was doing at the time when I was not skateboarding. All of that seems forever ago and growing older just sucks.


5 comments:

  1. Growing older does indeed suck. But what I realised is that its just about how happy you are that matters. I had a major crisis and got super depressed when I hit 30, mainly because I felt I was in a shit position in life. When I hit 40, it didn't bother me at all as I feel I'm in a good position. So basically getting older doesn't matter if you are happy. And I think you probably have a lot to be happy about. So yeah.
    On a different note, I got the 1st RATM LP when it came out, and I loved it. But to this day I still haven't heard anything that came after it. Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be onto something here, Marcus. There is indeed one aspect in my life I'd really like to change, but I have little influence on it unless I want to change my profession completely. But there's other things like having less time for cool, fun stuff, friendships changing, bodily decay,... Things you just have to get used to. And there's of course the nostalgia factor.

      About the other thing, haven't you got like 20 versions of the RATM 10" on Rev? You're telling me you've never listened to that record?

      Delete
  2. Nice pick up! I don't have a single RATM album on vinyl, and have recently been thinking about rectifying that.

    Happy birthday man. Age ain't shit. While I'm 47 this year, all that I can think about is how great it was to grow up with 80's metal, and then spend 90's without a care in the world and travelling to Hardcore shows every other weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congratulations. I think you hit a spot here, Mike. Every decade has it's ups and downs as does every period of life I guess. I do appreciate other things now. Things I didn't care about at all in my early twenties. Life is good all in all. Just the birthday blues, haha.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete